Collecting World Currency
Collecting World Currency home page
Collecting World Currency offers a very wide range of collecting possibilities, whether it be collecting notes from a specific country or region, or collecting by theme.
The International Bank Note Society (IBNS)
The International Bank Note Society is the international collector's primary resource for information. The following links provide useful information about collecting world currency.
- The IBNS is a non-profit educational organization founded in 1961 with a mission to promote, stimulate, and advance the study and knowledge of worldwide banknotes and paper currencies. The IBNS has numerous chapters throughout the world with over 2,000 members from more than 90 countries.
- This free 38 page guide to International Banknote Collecting can be read online or downloaded from the IBNS website.
- This link provides a list of IBNS Chapters throughout the world with contacts and other information for each Chapter.
Ways to Collect World Currency
- This article by Don Cleveland on the IBNS website discusses several ways to collect World banknotes.
- Link to the index of Wikipedia pages for Banknotes by Country, listing 37 countries.
SPMC Paper Money Articles Index (World)
- This Index page lists all 200+ articles on World Currency that have appeared in the Paper Money Journal since the first issue in 1962.
- This link will download the entire Sep/Oct 2001 Paper Money Journal Special Issue dedicated to World Currency.
- This link will download the entire Sep/Oct 2002 Paper Money Journal Special Issue dedicated to World Currency.
- This link will download the entire Sep/Oct 2003 Paper Money Journal Special Issue dedicated to World Currency.
Standard References on World Currency
- The Banknote Book is a comprehensive online catalog of world notes (This reference is sold on a subscription basis).
- Standard Catalog of World Paper Money, General Issues, 1368-1960 (15th edition) 2015 Edited by George S. Cuhaj
- Standard Catalog of World Paper Money, Modern Issues, 1961-Present (25th edition) 2019 Edited by Tracy L. Schmidt
- Here is a link to the IBNS YouTube Channel, which includes videos on many different topics related to collecting International banknotes.
- This is a link to the Heritage Currency Auction Archives for World Paper Money.
- The IBNS Journal is the official publication of the International Bank Note Society and is published quarterly for members. TheIBNS.org
- The SPMC Paper Money Journal is published bi-monthly by the Society of Paper Money Collectors, and covers all facets of collecting paper money. Online and print options are available for members. SPMC.org